I have been a stranger in a strange land - Exodus 2.22

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Alls Changed, Changed Utterly

I have a cheque book. This is weird. Nothing else to say about that; I just wanted to get it out of my system.

Soon... Soon I will have internet access AND a fancy tv service. By then I’ll have finally gotten my phone and my moving in period will be officially over. Soon is Friday by the way. Hopefully it’ll mean I’ll have the time to analyse my fantasy football team properly and recover from a disastrous start.

It’s amazing the difference a couple years makes. From a messy, lazy, hairy student to a considerably less messy, less hairy, employed productive member of society in a few short years. Stranger things have happened though; the flag waving communist that was a 16 year old Ross Frenett is now working for the man, in a suit, and in that most capitalistic of endeavours that is management consultancy.

Those are the only changes though. Even in the last couple weeks many things have changed. For one, my past nemesis of coeliac disease has reared its ugly head again and it picked the night before my first day at work to do so. Fair enough I had only eaten a baguette the day before, but having to make several midnight trips to the loo didn’t help the nerves before the start. I’ve become a lot more conscious of what I’ve been eating and as a result I’ve had to tighten my belt (literally).

Right now, it’s hard not to be optimistic about the future. So much more now seems possible over here and my life is on the move again after an extended hiatus. There are a lot of things I miss about Cork but I already know that it’ll be a good while before I ever move back. That thought alone makes me sad, without even counting in that feeling of coming back home and seeing that everything has changed while you were gone.

I’m really looking forward to people visiting though! Even though I’ve only been here three weeks, my sister Eva has already been here and I’ve a couple more visitors due in the next couple weeks. Funtimes! So, come on over and visit me! I’m talking to you Laura O’Neill or whoever you happen to be (Laura gets a mention as she asked for/demanded it).

So ends this message on that note of optimism. Hopefully there’ll be another post soon showing off my shiny new gadgets... mmm.... gadgets...

No comments:

Post a Comment