Ever since I got the call with the job offer, the enormity of the task of moving began to hit me. Aside from the relatively simple matter of accommodation, I'd need a new bank account, new national insurance number, new phone number, some new clothes, and I also now need a new laptop as my old HP one packed up at just a most inconvenient and expensive time. Practically everything that defines me will be new. Add to that the physical act of moving all my stuff over to London, and this adds up to be a very expensive couple of weeks for Dan.
I've my living quarters for the next year sorted (well, I'm waiting on them to email a copy of the contract and no money has changed hands yet, but there is a gentleman's agreement in place). The next thing is the actual move. This is proving more challenging than I thought, mainly due to a series of different events which are dictating when I move. I have siblings criss-crossing the continent at the moment who will not be back until the second of August, and my parents are leaving on their holidays on the fourth. The parents want to be there when I leave, and I would like to see John and Siobhán again before I go; which essentially forces me to leave on the third or the morning of the fourth. I'll leave on the fourth then to give me a full day with my whole family.
Of course, there should be some going away party or something for me to say good bye to my so called friends. This is complicated by the tickets I bought for a rugby match in Dublin on the 31st of July. Add into the mix my large non-Cork based group of friends and my girlfriend stuck in Tralee, and you can see that it's going to be a rather hectic last few days.
At some point in the middle of that I need to send my luggage to London too. This is a task of which I am crying out for help, as DHL and FedEx seem to be quite expensive. Any advice anyone may have is more than welcome.
Anyone feel like driving me to London?
Anyone?
Please?
No comments:
Post a Comment